Aug 13, 2010, 9:53 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya tossed three hitless innings today in Florida.
Yunesky Maya, the Cuban right-hander signed by the Nationals two weeks ago who is expected to pitch in the majors this season, took a big first step in that direction this afternoon.
In his minor-league debut, Maya tossed three hitless innings for the Nationals’ rookie Gulf Coast League squad, allowing only one of 10 batters faced to reach base.
The 28-year-old starter hit the first Marlins batter who stepped in against him, then proceeded to record eight straight outs on groundballs before striking out the final batter he faced in the third.
Maya, who signed a four-year, $8 million contract on July 31 and already appears on the Nationals’ 40-man roster, is expected to advance to a higher minor-league level soon. Team officials believe he will pitch for Washington before season’s end.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies