Aug 14, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
We are now about 54 hours from Monday night's deadline for all draft picks to sign, and though the Nationals haven't locked up any of their four remaining unsigned top picks (first-rounder Bryce Harper, second-rounder Sammy Solis, fourth-rounder A.J. Cole and 12th-rounder Robbie Ray) yet, they perhaps are making progress with at least one of those guys.
Ray, a high school left-hander from Tennessee, was at Nationals Park today, wearing a personalized Nats jersey and cap and meeting members of the ownership group, the front office, coaches and players. Ray, who has committed to Arkansas, hasn't signed yet, but it's clear the Nationals are putting the full-court press on him.
"We brought Robbie and his family in here today to show them our 'campus,' if you will," Mike Rizzo said. "He's got a full-ride to the University of Arkansas, which is a very good baseball school and a good institution. We wanted to show him what we're all about.
"He was a 12th-round pick because he had a full commitment to a university. We see his ability as being great ability, a left-handed pitcher that our scouts just love. Instead of just letting him go to school and blowing it off, we're making every effort to impress him with our organization and show him what professional baseball canRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting
- Strasburg will return next week to face Mets
- Nats look to take advantage of softer stretch, starting with Braves
- Updated: Nats add reliever, activate Moore
- Baseball in the District – Nats Insider Mark Zuckerman
- Zimmerman leads Nats not with words but example
- Nationals pull ahead late to get much-needed win vs. Cardinals
- Around the NL East: Mets being cautious with Harvey