Aug 15, 2010, 3:38 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Another poor outing leaves Jason Marquis' status unclear moving forward.
The Nationals can try to figure out why Jason Marquis is wholly unable to get big-league hitters out, but that's not the real issue right now. No, the bigger issue is what to do with the least-effective pitcher in the majors moving forward.
Can the Nats really send Marquis back to the mound Friday night in Philadelphia? In that bandbox? Against that lineup? With an 0-5 record and 14.33 ERA?
It wouldn't be fair to subject Marquis to that inevitable shellacking, and it wouldn't be fair to force the rest of the Nationals to stand there and watch it all unfold before their eyes. This may not be the greatest roster ever assembled, but it deserves to take the field on a nightly basis believing it has a chance to win.
And right now, if Marquis is on the mound, the Nats have no chance of winning.
Perhaps that's why Jim Riggleman was noncommittal tonight when asked whether a change could be in order.
"Well, obviously I wouldn't say that here. I'll talk to Steve McCatty and Mike Rizzo before we make a decision like that," Riggleman said. "I'm anticipating him going back out there, but it's a results-orientedRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards