Aug 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EST
Jim Riggleman says that, as of now, Jason Marquis will make his next scheduled start. The Nationals manager, though, couched that declaration pretty strongly, suggesting several times this morning that Marquis' rotation spot is not at all secure.
"If he's progressing and getting more action on the ball, getting the ball down more, getting more groundballs, then certainly we'll see that things are moving in the right direction," Riggleman said. "But we can't just let him be out there and get his brains beat out, either."
Marquis, who allowed five runs in four innings last night and actually lowered his ERA to 14.33, is on pace to start Saturday in Philadelphia. But it wouldn't be difficult for the Natioanls to make a change. Tomorrow's day off provides some leeway. The expected arrival very soon of both Jordan Zimmermann and Yunesky Maya also provides a couple of starting alternatives.
Zimmermann starts today for Class AAA Syracuse against Indianapolis. Maya, who tossed three hitless innings in his Gulf Coast League debut Friday, will probably make one more start in Viera before advancing to a higher-level affiliate.
If Marquis (who, of course, is on a two-year, $15 million contract) was removed from the rotation, he'd almost certainly remain on the major-league roster, possibly in the bullpen. Rosters expand in 16Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos