Aug 15, 2010, 10:49 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg made two second-inning mistakes but otherwise pitched well.
There will come a time, perhaps not too far in the future, when Jim Riggleman will let Stephen Strasburg take the mound for the sixth inning of a tie game sitting on 85 pitches.
That time wasn’t this afternoon, though, not with Strasburg still easing his way back from a brief stint on the disabled list, and not when a brief fan protest threw a surprise delay into the Nationals’ game against the Diamondbacks.
So a crowd of 21,695 — the smallest by far to see Strasburg pitch in 11 big-league starts — witnessed the odd sight of the rookie right-hander batting for himself to lead off the bottom of the fifth, then deferring to reliever Tyler Clippard for the top of the sixth.
“I was undecided whether I wanted him to go back out there anyway,” Riggleman said. “Once we sat in there a little bit longer with the [protest] going on, I just decided, you know what, I’m not going to send him back out there.”
The move ultimately paid off for the Nats, who turned Ian Desmond’s go-ahead single, Ryan Zimmerman’s solo homer and four scoreless innings of relief into a 5-3 victory.
The most encouraging development of the afternoon might have been the dominant relief work from Clippard, Sean Burnett and Drew Storen. Read about those guys, plus Strasburg, on CSNwashington.com.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs