Aug 16, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
UPDATE AT 10:08 P.M. — The Nationals just officially announced the signing of fourth-round pick A.J. Cole, the right-hander from Florida who was threatening to enroll at the University of Miami.
The 18-year-old went a combined 12-1 and struck out 10.7 batters per nine innings during his junior and senior years at Oviedo High School. A 6-foot-5 right-hander, he has an arsenal of pitches typically found with first-rounders, including a fastball that reaches 97 mph, a power curveball and a changeup.
Thus, the Nats have now signed 24 of their top 26 draft picks. They won't be signing 14th rounder Tim Smalling. They've got less than two hours to sign Bryce Harper.
UPDATE AT 8:22 P.M. — The Nationals have now announced the signing of second-round pick Sammy Solis, a left-hander from the University of San Diego.
A 6-foot-5, 225-pounder, Solis has a fastball that tops out at 92 mph and two varieties of breaking balls: an over-the-top, 80 mph curveball that is his "out" pitch and a mid-70s "slurve" that breaks on more of a diagonal plane.
Still no word on fourth-rounder A.J. Cole, but I suspect we'll get that announcement in the next hour or two…
ORIGINAL POST AT 7:00 P.M. — Just got to Nationals Park, gearing up for a long night of waiting for something to happen, and lo and behold I'm greeted by a press release announcing the signing of a draft pick!
The Nationals have signed 12th rounder Robbie Ray, the high school left-hander from Tennessee who toured the ballpark Saturday in a Nats cap and personalized jersey as part of a hard sell from members of the front office. Obviously, it worked, because Ray elected to sign a pro contract instead of playing in college at Arkansas as he had previously committed.
Baseball America's Jim Callis reported yesterday that Ray had signedRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres