Aug 20, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — When making out his lineup card the majority of this season, Jim Riggleman never had to give thought to who he would pencil in as his left fielder or No. 5 hitter. Josh Willingham’s name might as well have been written in permanent ink.
But with Willingham now out for the season with a medial meniscus tear in his left knee, the Nationals manager is left trying to fill a significant void, both in the lineup and in the field.
There’s no one player on the Nats’ roster capable of taking over Willingham’s duties full-time, so Riggleman is forced to mix-and-match with a handful of others, hoping he can find a combination that helps offset the loss as much as possible.
“It’s going to be evolving as to how that works itself out,” Riggleman said before tonight’s series opener against the Phillies.
For the full story, including Roger Bernadina’s thoughts on playing left field for the first time in a long time, go to CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase