Aug 20, 2010, 10:05 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Mike Rizzo just held court for a few minutes on the field during batting practice and gave some updates on several players of note, so let's run through them all…
JORDAN ZIMMERMANN: The rehabbing right-hander starts tonight for Class AAA Syracuse, his 10th minor-league start of the summer and quite possibly his last. Rizzo didn't fully commit to promoting Zimmermann after this outing, but he seemed to strongly suggest that's the plan. "We've been taking him start-by-start," the GM said. "But I think if he throws well, we would probably consider bringing him back. Put it this way: If there's no need for another minor-league start, developmental-wise or to get him ready to pitch up here, then we would bring him up here." UPDATE AT 8:42 P.M.: Zimmermann tossed five more scoreless innings tonight at Syracuse, allowing one hit, striking out five and walking one. In 10 minor-league starts, he has a 1.59 ERA. Gotta believe he'll be pitching in D.C. next week.
YUNESKY MAYA: The recently signed Cuban right-hander is scheduled to start Sunday for Class A Potomac after two good outings in the Gulf Coast League (one earned run, three hits in seven total innings). What happens after that? "He'll have at least one more minor-league start, an upper-level, minor-league start," Rizzo said. "Then we'll see where we're at after September 1. He'll probably come to the big leagues and get a start up here."
Obviously, once Zimmermann and Maya reach the majors, the Nats will face some rotation decisions. Rizzo said they won't go to a six-man rotation. A more-likely scenario would have two current starters moving to the bullpen, though those guys could be "piggy-backed" with Zimmermann or Maya and pitch long relief after theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?