Aug 20, 2010, 10:05 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Mike Rizzo just held court for a few minutes on the field during batting practice and gave some updates on several players of note, so let's run through them all…
JORDAN ZIMMERMANN: The rehabbing right-hander starts tonight for Class AAA Syracuse, his 10th minor-league start of the summer and quite possibly his last. Rizzo didn't fully commit to promoting Zimmermann after this outing, but he seemed to strongly suggest that's the plan. "We've been taking him start-by-start," the GM said. "But I think if he throws well, we would probably consider bringing him back. Put it this way: If there's no need for another minor-league start, developmental-wise or to get him ready to pitch up here, then we would bring him up here." UPDATE AT 8:42 P.M.: Zimmermann tossed five more scoreless innings tonight at Syracuse, allowing one hit, striking out five and walking one. In 10 minor-league starts, he has a 1.59 ERA. Gotta believe he'll be pitching in D.C. next week.
YUNESKY MAYA: The recently signed Cuban right-hander is scheduled to start Sunday for Class A Potomac after two good outings in the Gulf Coast League (one earned run, three hits in seven total innings). What happens after that? "He'll have at least one more minor-league start, an upper-level, minor-league start," Rizzo said. "Then we'll see where we're at after September 1. He'll probably come to the big leagues and get a start up here."
Obviously, once Zimmermann and Maya reach the majors, the Nats will face some rotation decisions. Rizzo said they won't go to a six-man rotation. A more-likely scenario would have two current starters moving to the bullpen, though those guys could be "piggy-backed" with Zimmermann or Maya and pitch long relief after theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats