Aug 21, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Wilson Ramos returns to Syracuse today, his first, extremely brief, stint with the Nationals complete after three days and one game played. Wil Nieves who had been placed on the temporary leave list while his wife Yormarie gave birth to the couple's first daughter Wednesday afternoon, rejoins the Nats tonight and will be in uniform for Game 2 against the Phillies.
It's hard to draw real conclusions about Ramos based on one game, but the 23-year-old drew positive reviews from Nationals pitchers on his game-calling abilities. He also flashed some impressive defensive skill in scooping up a sacrifice bunt attempt in Atlanta on Thursday and gunning down a runner at third base. And he displayed an ability to work the count and foul off some tough two-strike pitches.
If nothing else, Ramos leaves the Nationals wanting to see more of him, though they're going to have to wait another 11 days before they get the chance again. Ramos will be among the September call-ups. The question then becomes how much playing time he'll get down the stretch.
The way Jim Riggleman answered that question yesterday lends me to believe the rookie catcher may not get as much action as fans would like.
"It's always a tough little period there, when you have young players coming up and you have veteran players who have been out there going hard for you all year," Riggleman said. "As curious as you areRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper