Aug 22, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen allowed four runs in six innings today.
PHILADELPHIA — In the wake of a 6-0, rain-delayed loss to the Phillies this afternoon — one of the Nationals' less-enthralling performances of the year — plenty of questions remain.
Is Scott Olsen capable of sustaining any momentum, or is he destined to vacillate between positive and negative starts? Is Adam Dunn's two-week slump going to derail his entire season, or can he snap out of it in time to finish with the best numbers of his career? And, most importantly, what happens now with Stephen Strasburg, who had already arrived in Washington for his forearm MRI long before this stinker of a ballgame ended?
Let's try to provide some answers to each question…
1. SCOTT OLSEN
Every time you think the left-hander has got something good going, he takes a big step backward. Every time you think he's lost on the mound, he rebounds with a big performance.
Today's four-runs-in-six-innings start fell in that murky, gray area between good and bad. It came on the heels of a strong start in Atlanta, which came on the heels of a wretched start against the Marlins.
Olsen has now appeared in five games since returning from the DL, during which time he's going 1-4 with a 7.77 ERA. Not exactly encouraging numbers, which makes you wonder if Olsen is stillRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"