Aug 22, 2010, 12:49 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg winces after throwing his 56th pitch of the night.
PHILADELPHIA — Stephen Strasburg was pulled from tonight's game after wincing in pain upon throwing a fifth-inning changeup to Phillies right fielder Domonic Brown.
Strasburg immediately looked down at his right arm and then shook it around after throwing his 56th pitch of the night. After a few seconds, Ivan Rodriguez joined him at the mound, followed immediately by manager Jim Riggleman, pitching coach Steve McCatty and trainer Lee Kuntz.
Despite pleas from Strasburg to remain in the game, Riggleman wouldn't listen to his rookie pitcher. Strasburg departed with a disgusted look on his face, replaced by Craig Stammen with the Nationals leading 5-1.
Strasburg had dominated to that point, allowing just one run on two hits, striking out six and not issuing a walk against a potent Phillies lineup.
Updates to come…
UPDATE AT 9:33 P.M. — Doesn't sound like we're going to get an update on Strasburg's injury (not even what body part was injured) until after the game.
UPDATE AT 10:13 P.M. — The game is over, and the Nationals have won, 8-1. Because Strasburg didn't go the required five innings, he couldn't be credited with the win. So the official scorer has awarded that to Doug Slaten, who retired all five batters he faced. Will updateRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon