Aug 23, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg will not make his next scheduled start Thursday and will almost certainly be placed on the disabled list, Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said this afternoon.
Strasburg underwent an MRI of his right forearm yesterday, the results of which are still be looked at by doctors. Team officials won't determine a full course of action moving forward until they receive more information.
Riggleman didn't reveal any initial diagnosis from the MRI but did say this test offered a less-encouraging outlook than the hands-on test administered by a Phillies team doctor Saturday night. That doctor said he believed Strasburg would be fine to pitch Thursday as scheduled.
A decision hasn't been made yet who will start in Strasburg's place, but Riggleman did say rehabbing minor-leaguer Jordan Zimmermann is a possibility.
General manager Mike Rizzo is due to meet with reporters later this afternoon to provide more details, so updates to come…
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Mike Rizzo said the MRI taken on Strasburg's forearm showed a strained flexor tendon. He'll now undergo an arthrogram, an enhanced MRI in which a dye is injected inRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?