Aug 23, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will not make his next scheduled start Thursday and will almost certainly be placed on the disabled list, Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said this afternoon.
Strasburg underwent an MRI of his right forearm yesterday, the results of which are still be looked at by doctors. Team officials won't determine a full course of action moving forward until they receive more information.
Riggleman didn't reveal any initial diagnosis from the MRI but did say this test offered a less-encouraging outlook than the hands-on test administered by a Phillies team doctor Saturday night. That doctor said he believed Strasburg would be fine to pitch Thursday as scheduled.
A decision hasn't been made yet who will start in Strasburg's place, but Riggleman did say rehabbing minor-leaguer Jordan Zimmermann is a possibility.
General manager Mike Rizzo is due to meet with reporters later this afternoon to provide more details, so updates to come…
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Mike Rizzo said the MRI taken on Strasburg's forearm showed a strained flexor tendon. He'll now undergo an arthrogram, an enhanced MRI in which a dye is injected inRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche