Aug 23, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will not make his next scheduled start Thursday and will almost certainly be placed on the disabled list, Nationals manager Jim Riggleman said this afternoon.
Strasburg underwent an MRI of his right forearm yesterday, the results of which are still be looked at by doctors. Team officials won't determine a full course of action moving forward until they receive more information.
Riggleman didn't reveal any initial diagnosis from the MRI but did say this test offered a less-encouraging outlook than the hands-on test administered by a Phillies team doctor Saturday night. That doctor said he believed Strasburg would be fine to pitch Thursday as scheduled.
A decision hasn't been made yet who will start in Strasburg's place, but Riggleman did say rehabbing minor-leaguer Jordan Zimmermann is a possibility.
General manager Mike Rizzo is due to meet with reporters later this afternoon to provide more details, so updates to come…
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Mike Rizzo said the MRI taken on Strasburg's forearm showed a strained flexor tendon. He'll now undergo an arthrogram, an enhanced MRI in which a dye is injected inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion