Aug 23, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
While all of NatsTown awaits the results of Stephen Strasburg's forearm MRI, it's worth noting a couple of other pitchers who could be in the running to take his rotation spot: Jordan Zimmermann and Yunesky Maya.
Zimmermann has thoroughly dominated the minor leagues in his rehab from Tommy John surgery — 1.59 ERA in 10 starts, 31-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio — and after tossing five innings of scoreless, one-hit ball Friday night for Class AAA Syracuse, there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep him down there any longer.
Mike Rizzo said as much before that outing, declaring: "If there's no need for another minor-league start, developmental-wise or to get him ready to pitch up here, then we would bring him up here."
If Zimmermann stayed on a strict, five-day schedule, he'd be lined up to start Wednesday. But Jason Marquis has already been named Wednesday's starter, so that's not happening. But Zimmermann could very easily slide into Strasburg's spot Thursday if the rookie is held out (which, I think, is the safe assumption at this point).
It should also be noted that Rizzo said yesterday any decision on Zimmermann will be made solely on his performance Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured