Aug 23, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
While all of NatsTown awaits the results of Stephen Strasburg's forearm MRI, it's worth noting a couple of other pitchers who could be in the running to take his rotation spot: Jordan Zimmermann and Yunesky Maya.
Zimmermann has thoroughly dominated the minor leagues in his rehab from Tommy John surgery — 1.59 ERA in 10 starts, 31-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio — and after tossing five innings of scoreless, one-hit ball Friday night for Class AAA Syracuse, there doesn't seem to be much reason to keep him down there any longer.
Mike Rizzo said as much before that outing, declaring: "If there's no need for another minor-league start, developmental-wise or to get him ready to pitch up here, then we would bring him up here."
If Zimmermann stayed on a strict, five-day schedule, he'd be lined up to start Wednesday. But Jason Marquis has already been named Wednesday's starter, so that's not happening. But Zimmermann could very easily slide into Strasburg's spot Thursday if the rookie is held out (which, I think, is the safe assumption at this point).
It should also be noted that Rizzo said yesterday any decision on Zimmermann will be made solely on his performance Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves