Aug 24, 2010, 7:28 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan faces Carlos Zambrano tonight at Nationals Park.
After an unsightly showing last night resulting in a 9-1 beatdown by the Cubs, Jim Riggleman chided his players for what he perceived as a lack of effort and energy. We'll find out this evening whether the Nationals took their manager's message to heart and come out of the dugout with a bit more fire.
John Lannan takes the ball for the Nats, hoping to continue his strong run since returning from the minors. In four starts, the left-hander is 3-0 with a 3.09 ERA. If there is one bone to pick, it's that Lannan has struggled to keep his pitch count down and thus has been unable to make it past the sixth inning. He needs to increase his efficiency tonight in an attempt to last deeper into the game.
The enigmatic Carlos Zambrano, who has bounced between the Cubs' rotation and bullpen (when he's not throwing dugout tirades), starts for Chicago. Riggleman counters with a lineup that does not include Ian Desmond for the second straight night. We'll have to see what the reason for this is (yesterday, Riggleman said it was simply a day off for the rookie shortstop. Would be surprised if that's the case two days in a row).
Check back throughout the evening for updates…
CUBS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Chance of showers late, 73 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from CF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager