Aug 24, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Collin Balester’s return from Syracuse may not last long.
The Nationals have officially placed Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm flexor strain and recalled reliever Collin Balester from Class AAA Syracuse to take his roster spot for now.
The DL move is retroactive to August 22, so Strasburg will be eligible to return as soon as September 6. The Nats, of course, won’t know whether the rookie will actually return that soon (if at all this season) until he undergoes an enhanced MRI later this week.
Balester’s recall is a bit surprising, given his struggles earlier this month when he pitched out of the Nationals’ bullpen (he plunked both Rickie Weeks and Mark Reynolds in the head with 95 mph fastballs in a span of nine days). But his stay up here may not last long.
The Nationals will need to remove someone from the 25-man roster Thursday when Jordan Zimmermann is recalled to start that night’s game against the Cardinals. Balester may only serving as a temporary, fresh arm out of the bullpen until Zimmermann arrives.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes