Aug 24, 2010, 7:35 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Collin Balester’s return from Syracuse may not last long.
The Nationals have officially placed Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm flexor strain and recalled reliever Collin Balester from Class AAA Syracuse to take his roster spot for now.
The DL move is retroactive to August 22, so Strasburg will be eligible to return as soon as September 6. The Nats, of course, won’t know whether the rookie will actually return that soon (if at all this season) until he undergoes an enhanced MRI later this week.
Balester’s recall is a bit surprising, given his struggles earlier this month when he pitched out of the Nationals’ bullpen (he plunked both Rickie Weeks and Mark Reynolds in the head with 95 mph fastballs in a span of nine days). But his stay up here may not last long.
The Nationals will need to remove someone from the 25-man roster Thursday when Jordan Zimmermann is recalled to start that night’s game against the Cardinals. Balester may only serving as a temporary, fresh arm out of the bullpen until Zimmermann arrives.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter