Aug 25, 2010, 3:43 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Colvin's fourth-inning homer off John Lannan proved the difference.
As Adam Kennedy coasted into second base and a trio of Nats high-fived at the plate upon scoring in succession, the realization made its way around Nationals Park.
Ryan Zimmerman was about to bat with a chance to win the game with one swing. There's perhaps no more-comforting thought around these parts than that.
"Absolutely," Kennedy said. "Any time he's up in that situation, you feel good about it."
"He's the guy you want up there in that situation," John Lannan said.
"Any time Zim comes up to the plate in a situation like that," Ian Desmond said, "you always think he's going to get a hit."
So for those couple of nanoseconds after Zimmerman struck Carlos Marmol's 2-2 fastball and sent it flying down the right-field line, it was perfectly appropriate to believe the man who has produced more walk-off hits than anyone else in baseball the last five seasons hadRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers