Aug 25, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to salvage one game from the Cubs tonight.
After getting trounced Monday night and after falling just short with a ninth-inning rally last night, the Nationals tonight look to escape this series with one win against the Cubs.
For that to happen, Jason Marquis will need to pitch well, something he finally showed glimpses of five night ago in Philadelphia even though he still took his sixth loss in six starts. Marquis only allowed one run and four hits in that game. Of greater concern was the fact he walked four and needed 94 pitches to make it through five innings and thus didn't return for a sixth. Better efficiency tonight would be a positive step for the Nats and for Marquis.
Ian Desmond returns to the lineup after sitting out the last two games with a minor right thumb ailment. The rookie shortstop's presence in the lineup is important for this team, especially with Josh Willingham done for the year and Adam Dunn slumping big-time. Over his last 26 games, Desmond is hitting a stout .375 with three homers, 10 RBI, six stolen bases and a .952 OPS. In short, the Nats really need him right now.
Check back throughout the evening for updates…
CUBS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations