Aug 26, 2010, 3:51 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn is caught looking at strike three for the third time in the game.
Three days ago, Adam Dunn — mired in a 16-day, 6-for-49 slump — spoke confidently about his chances of getting back on track.
"I know I'll come out of it," he said that afternoon in Philadelphia. "That's the only thing I know for sure."
Three days later, the only thing that's changed is the length and breadth of Dunn's slump. After an 0-for-4, three-strikeout showing tonight in the Nationals' 4-0 loss to the Cubs, the big guy now has seven hits and 28 strikeouts in his last 58 at-bats. He's produced one RBI since August 7 (on a solo homer) and has seen his batting average plummet from .280 to .259.
All of a sudden, that career year is morphing into something more recognizable. And the man who will suffer most for it is Dunn himself, whose next contract is probably shrinking in total value every time he trudges from the plate to the dugout upon striking out.
Should the Nationals be concerned? Maybe. Though Dunn has always been the kind of slugger who goes through a couple of prolonged slumps every year, this one might be different. Despite his upbeat tone over the weekend, Dunn is starting to show signs of frustration.
After one particularly ragged round of batting practice this afternoon, Dunn heaved his bat nearly to third base. Stan Kasten, watching from about 75 feet away, immediately walked up to his cleanup hitter andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance