Aug 26, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
UPDATE AT 12:15 A.M. — The Nationals plan to hold a conference call in the morning or early afternoon to provide an update on Strasburg’s condition. Just throwing this out there, but would you normally expect a team to hold a conference call to say everything’s OK?
Stephen Strasburg underwent the enhanced MRI known as an arthrogram earlier today. Now the rookie right-hander and the Nationals can do nothing but wait for the results to learn whether there is any damage to his forearm or elbow beyond the previously diagnosed flexor tendon strain.
The Nats may have results of the test, in which a dye was injected into Strasburg’s forearm to help doctors better see any irregularities, later tonight. The club may not publicly announce the results, however, until tomorrow.
The wait makes for some anxious moments for everyone with the organization.
“Anxious? Yeah, definitely,” Jim Riggleman said during his pregame press conference. “I don’t even venture to guess. The thing with Stephen is, he was my office yesterday saying: ‘I could pitch tonight. I feel great.’ But you never know. Jordan Zimmermann last year, he thought he could have pitched through the whole situation. It just wasn’t to be. All I can do is wait for it like anybody else.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test