Aug 26, 2010, 9:30 PM EDT
UPDATE AT 12:15 A.M. — The Nationals plan to hold a conference call in the morning or early afternoon to provide an update on Strasburg’s condition. Just throwing this out there, but would you normally expect a team to hold a conference call to say everything’s OK?
Stephen Strasburg underwent the enhanced MRI known as an arthrogram earlier today. Now the rookie right-hander and the Nationals can do nothing but wait for the results to learn whether there is any damage to his forearm or elbow beyond the previously diagnosed flexor tendon strain.
The Nats may have results of the test, in which a dye was injected into Strasburg’s forearm to help doctors better see any irregularities, later tonight. The club may not publicly announce the results, however, until tomorrow.
The wait makes for some anxious moments for everyone with the organization.
“Anxious? Yeah, definitely,” Jim Riggleman said during his pregame press conference. “I don’t even venture to guess. The thing with Stephen is, he was my office yesterday saying: ‘I could pitch tonight. I feel great.’ But you never know. Jordan Zimmermann last year, he thought he could have pitched through the whole situation. It just wasn’t to be. All I can do is wait for it like anybody else.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win