Aug 27, 2010, 5:30 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond is mobbed by teammates after his game-winning single.
The day began with Bryce Harper wearing a Nationals T-shirt and gym shorts, blasting a batting-practice ball into the third deck down the right-field line.
It continued with the sight of Jordan Zimmermann standing on the mound at Nationals Park and firing a 94 mph fastball to Felipe Lopez, his first major-league pitch in 13 months.
Before it was over, the day included the first blown save of Drew Storen's career, a Roger Bernadina home run in the bottom of the ninth, Ian Desmond's game-winning single in the bottom of the 13th, 43 combined players used by Tony La Russa and Jim Riggleman, more than 4 1/2 hours of baseball and a dramatic 11-10 win by the Nationals.
And then, just as players inside the jubilant home clubhouse were heading out for the night, exhausted but thoroughly satisfied with the outcome, came this heads-up from the Nats' PR department: The club plans to hold a conference call in the morning or early afternoon to disclose the results of Stephen Strasburg's arthrogram.
Cue sound of record coming to a screeching halt.
Now, it's not fair to jump to any hard-and-fast conclusions based simply on this bit of news. But here's the thing: How often does a team arrange a conference call to reveal good news about a player'sRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scouts for several teams in attendance at Hamels' 1st spring game
- Zimmermann solid, Moore on fire in Florida
- Matt Harvey returns to mound in Mets' spring game
- Escobar having stiff back examined by doctor
- Marlins spending lots of money off the field, as well as on it
- Nationals hit the road to face Braves
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring