Aug 27, 2010, 2:36 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg winces after throwing his final pitch Saturday in Philadelphia.
Update at 12:15 p.m. — Read the full, updated story with quotes from Mike Rizzo and Stan Kasten on CSNwashington.com.
An enhanced MRI of Stephen Strasburg's right arm has revealed a "significant" tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow which will probably require Tommy John surgery, general manager Mike Rizzo said during a conference call this morning.
Recovery time from the ligament replacement surgery is typically 12-to-18 months, meaning Strasburg wouldn't be ready to return until late-2011 at the earliest.
Strasburg injured himself Saturday night in Philadelphia, wincing in pain after throwing a fifth-inning changeup to Phillies right fielder Domonic Brown. He attempted to convince Jim Riggleman to leave him in the game, but the manager immediately pulled him for precautionary reasons.
Strasburg underwent an MRI Sunday in Washington, the results of which revealed a strained flexor tendon in his forearm. Team doctors, though, wanted a clearer look at the forearm and elbow and scheduled the arthrogram (an enhanced MRI in which a dye is injected into theRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team