Strasburg’s reaction

Aug 27, 2010, 8:41 PM EDT

For the full, updated Stephen Strasburg story with quotes, go to CSNwashington.com.

Stephen Strasburg spoke for about 10 minutes this afternoon in the Nationals Park interview room and conveyed how the anger and confusion he initially felt upon learning he would need Tommy John surgery quickly transformed into acceptance of the injury and determination to overcome this new challenge.

Strasburg spoke about the surgery as though it is a sure thing, even though he will fly to Los Angeles tomorrow to get a second opinion from orthopedist Lewis Yocum. He tried to put his entire "whirlwind" rookie season into perspective and talked about the support system he has around him that he believes will help him get through the various stages of recovery he now faces.

Here's a transcript of some of the best stuff Strasburg had to say. I'll be re-posting this after each answer, so check back because this will be updating every few minutes…

Q: What was your reaction when you learned?
STEPHEN STRASBURG: It was kind of a shock to me, because I didn't really feel anything. It is what it is. In a way, it's good that it happened now instead of when we're going to the postseason or getting ready for the World Series. It's a new challenge. I want to be the best at everything. And right now, I'm going to be the best at rehabbing and getting back out here.

Q: Can you gain inspiration from Jordan Zimmermann and others who have come back from this surgery?
SS: Absolutely. You look at all the guys in the big leagues who are Cy Young contenders, Hall of Famers who have had this surgery … it's become such a specialty these days. I'm going to the best, and I knowRead more ยป

1. Tcostant - Aug 27, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I think Nats fans need a wakeup call; I recommend that all read the following article for it.Here is the first paragraph and the link.There is something terribly sad about this latest Stephen Strasburg news. It's not just sadness for Strasburg, who apparently needs Tommy John surgery — he is a wealthy and (mostly) healthy young American male who should be fine, no matter what happens. And it's not just sadness for the Washington Nationals, who lost the one guy who has made them relevant.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/27/strasburg.injury/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0xqCn2Zw7

2. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:00 PM

OK.. I read the SI piece and the only thing different is he added Joel Zumaya to the Prior/Wood scenario.I prefer the Josh Johnson, Tim Hudson, Billy Wagner, etc. scenario. Stephens mind set is perfect to comeback as strong or stronger and he has the ability to confer with Jordan Zimmermann about the process. He's absolutely correct in that the timing of this is in all of our best interests. He'll be back when Bryce is coming up, Ramos will have a full season behind him and our other young pitchers will be in the mix. 2012 is lining up as a greatly anticipated season for those of us who really (and patiently) approve of the Rizzo approach to building this club.

3. NG - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Joel Zumaya severly injured his shoulder loading boxes trying to evacuate his house in advance of an approaching forest fire. This just isn't in any way comparable to Strasburg.

4. Doc - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Really fine interview Mark. I'm with Stephen that this happened over time, not with one pitch. As Rizzo quotes the doctors, it was that last pitch. Maybe it's time to change doctors!SS is going to come out of this fine. Just a tremendous mental attitude on his part. His focus is on achievement is quite exceptional. He's really a rare individual.

5. Anonymous - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Hopefully the kid can come through ok, my only worry was until 3 years ago he was known for his lack of work ethic concerning conditioning and he showed signs of being out of shape during warm weather this year. I hope he keeps up with his fitness while recovering from the surgery and comes back a bit leaner.

6. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 27, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Doc…. it was the last pitch that "signaled" the injury…. not necessarily causing it.If in fact (and what I believe) that this happened over time, it was inevitable that "one pitch" would trigger the pain that caused the MRI that leads to the surgery.

7. Jim Hoy - Aug 27, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Mark, you posted the Strasburg info at least 15 minutes before cnnsi.com did. That, my friend, is good reporting. Thank you for that.As for Stras, I can only hope for the best. He certainly said all the right things.This is a good reason why Kasten and Rizzo continue to stockpile pitchers. I had hoped we wouldn't be flirting with 100 losses this year, but I know Rizzo is on the right path.

8. Spike94wl - Aug 28, 2010 at 1:44 AM

So are we absolutely certain that Strasburg's contract runs while he is on the DL? If so this is a huge loss not just because of 2011 but we're losing a full year or more of his service to the Nats.

9. bobn - Aug 28, 2010 at 1:59 AM

MRIs should be done before injury to see if there is weakness or strain. It is expensive, but might save the arms of young pitchers.