Aug 27, 2010, 8:41 PM EDT
For the full, updated Stephen Strasburg story with quotes, go to CSNwashington.com.
Stephen Strasburg spoke for about 10 minutes this afternoon in the Nationals Park interview room and conveyed how the anger and confusion he initially felt upon learning he would need Tommy John surgery quickly transformed into acceptance of the injury and determination to overcome this new challenge.
Strasburg spoke about the surgery as though it is a sure thing, even though he will fly to Los Angeles tomorrow to get a second opinion from orthopedist Lewis Yocum. He tried to put his entire "whirlwind" rookie season into perspective and talked about the support system he has around him that he believes will help him get through the various stages of recovery he now faces.
Here's a transcript of some of the best stuff Strasburg had to say. I'll be re-posting this after each answer, so check back because this will be updating every few minutes…
Q: What was your reaction when you learned?
STEPHEN STRASBURG: It was kind of a shock to me, because I didn't really feel anything. It is what it is. In a way, it's good that it happened now instead of when we're going to the postseason or getting ready for the World Series. It's a new challenge. I want to be the best at everything. And right now, I'm going to be the best at rehabbing and getting back out here.
Q: Can you gain inspiration from Jordan Zimmermann and others who have come back from this surgery?
SS: Absolutely. You look at all the guys in the big leagues who are Cy Young contenders, Hall of Famers who have had this surgery … it's become such a specialty these days. I'm going to the best, and I knowRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling