Aug 28, 2010, 3:20 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg's whirlwind rookie season ended on the ultimate sour note.
The cries of "Noooooooo!" that could be heard around the District at, oh, 10:31 a.m. today were quickly followed by a barrage of questions and declarations from every corner of the sports world.
Everybody either wanted to know — or believed they already knew — why Stephen Strasburg's remarkable rookie season had come to such an abrupt and sad conclusion: Tommy John surgery.
The Nationals babied him too much. No, wait, they weren't cautious enough. They should have known he'd blow out his arm because of his pitching mechanics. Or maybe it's the velocity. You can't throw 100 mph fastballs and 91 mph changeups and expect your elbow to retain its structural integrity. Clearly, this ligament tear had been building up over months and years. Unless it just collapsed under the weight of one unfortunate changeup Saturday night.
The parade of "experts" claiming to know exactly what happened and why was more staggering than any knee-buckling curveball Strasburg has ever thrown. And it was unavoidable. They were everywhere you turned all day.
Perhaps everyone would have been wise to pause for just a moment and listen to what the kid whose life had just been turned upside-down had to say when asked if he'd found himself searchingRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts