Aug 30, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
MIAMI — Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez walked away from Class AA Harrisburg yesterday, abruptly ending his season without returning to the major leagues.
According to the Patriot-News, Hernandez left the Senators in part because he hadn't yet received an opportunity to be promoted to the Nationals' roster. The Nats signed the 44-year-old right-hander and half-brother of Livan Hernandez to a minor-league contract last month with the understanding he'd be considered for a spot in the bullpen based on his performance. In six appearances with Harrisburg, he went 1-1 with a 1.86 ERA.
Hernandez's signing also was a factor in the Nationals' signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya to a four-year contract.
UPDATE AT 5:17 P.M. — Mike Rizzo said "El Duque" asked him if he'd be getting a September call-up, and when the GM informed him he wouldn't, the pitcher decided to leave the club.
"His expectation was to be a September call-up," Rizzo said. "And just with the roster spot we're in and the additional guys we're going to put on the roster, it was just something I felt wasn't warranted at thisRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann gets roughed up for 8 runs by Marlins
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him