Aug 30, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
MIAMI — Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez walked away from Class AA Harrisburg yesterday, abruptly ending his season without returning to the major leagues.
According to the Patriot-News, Hernandez left the Senators in part because he hadn't yet received an opportunity to be promoted to the Nationals' roster. The Nats signed the 44-year-old right-hander and half-brother of Livan Hernandez to a minor-league contract last month with the understanding he'd be considered for a spot in the bullpen based on his performance. In six appearances with Harrisburg, he went 1-1 with a 1.86 ERA.
Hernandez's signing also was a factor in the Nationals' signing of Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya to a four-year contract.
UPDATE AT 5:17 P.M. — Mike Rizzo said "El Duque" asked him if he'd be getting a September call-up, and when the GM informed him he wouldn't, the pitcher decided to leave the club.
"His expectation was to be a September call-up," Rizzo said. "And just with the roster spot we're in and the additional guys we're going to put on the roster, it was just something I felt wasn't warranted at thisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?