Aug 30, 2010, 10:47 PM EDT
MIAMI — Nyjer Morgan is back in the Nationals’ lineup tonight, back hitting eighth again, just as he was Saturday night when he was involved in a controversial play at the plate that landed him on the bench the next day.
But try as the Nationals might to move past that incident, Morgan appears to still take issue with the way manager Jim Riggleman handled things over the weekend.
Riggleman benched Morgan for yesterday’s game against the Cardinals because he believed the center fielder would get plunked in retaliation for running into catcher Bryan Anderson the previous night when there was no play at the plate. Morgan insists the play wasn’t dirty, but he seems more upset that his manager criticized him publicly without ever raising the issue directly with him.
“He just basically did a Cardinal sin,” Morgan said before tonight’s game against the Marlins. “You don’t blast your player out in the paper. But it’s all right.”
For the <a href="http://www.csnwashington.com/08/30/10/Zuckerman-Morgan-Upset-at-Riggleman/landing_v3.html?blockID=300763&feedID=5685" target="
_blank”>full story, with more quotes from Morgan and Riggleman, go to CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury