Aug 30, 2010, 10:47 PM EDT
MIAMI — Nyjer Morgan is back in the Nationals’ lineup tonight, back hitting eighth again, just as he was Saturday night when he was involved in a controversial play at the plate that landed him on the bench the next day.
But try as the Nationals might to move past that incident, Morgan appears to still take issue with the way manager Jim Riggleman handled things over the weekend.
Riggleman benched Morgan for yesterday’s game against the Cardinals because he believed the center fielder would get plunked in retaliation for running into catcher Bryan Anderson the previous night when there was no play at the plate. Morgan insists the play wasn’t dirty, but he seems more upset that his manager criticized him publicly without ever raising the issue directly with him.
“He just basically did a Cardinal sin,” Morgan said before tonight’s game against the Marlins. “You don’t blast your player out in the paper. But it’s all right.”
For the <a href="http://www.csnwashington.com/08/30/10/Zuckerman-Morgan-Upset-at-Riggleman/landing_v3.html?blockID=300763&feedID=5685" target="
_blank”>full story, with more quotes from Morgan and Riggleman, go to CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Fister, Nats aim for series win against Mets in New York
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab