Aug 31, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Anibal Sanchez tonight at Sun Life Stadium.
MIAMI — Jordan Zimmermann's return from Tommy John surgery last week was a major accomplishment for the 24-year-old right-hander. The mere fact he pitched in a big-league game without losing any velocity 12 months after undergoing the surgery is worth applauding.
But Zimmermann was only partly satisfied with his performance that night. Yes, he was happy to have returned to the mound and pitched four innings against the Cardinals. But he wasn't happy to have allowed five runs and seven hits during those four innings, not to mention putting six straight St. Louis batters on base during the fourth.
So tonight, Zimmermann begins the next quest in his return. He's back in the majors. Now he wants to get these major-league hitters out. He'll be facing a Marlins lineup that has plenty of power but also has been known to strike out a bunch. Could be a good matchup from Jordan's perspective.
If Zimmermann is up to the task, and if his teammates can string some runs together against Florida's Anibal Sanchez, the Nats could be looking at their first four-game winning streak of the season. Pretty amazing it hasn't happened yet.
Check back for updates throughout the evening…
NATIONALS at MARLINS
Where: Sun Life Stadium
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 17 mph in from RF
2B Adam Kennedy
SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1