Aug 31, 2010, 9:53 PM EDT
MIAMI — Stephen Strasburg will have Tommy John surgery Friday in Los Angeles after a second enhanced MRI taken yesterday confirmed the Nationals’ original diagnosis of a significant tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow.
General manager Mike Rizzo said orthopedist Lewis Yocum will perform the ligament replacement surgery, with Nats team doctor Wiemi Douoguih assisting. The two doctors also performed Jordan Zimmermann’s Tommy John surgery last August.
Strasburg will return to his home in San Diego and immediately begin physical therapy. He won’t be allowed to resume throwing a ball, however, for four months.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager