Sep 1, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
MIAMI — Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos will make up the first wave of September call-ups and will be in uniform tonight for the Nationals' series finale against the Marlins.
Espinosa, one of the best all-around infielders in the minor leagues this season, will have his contract purchased from Class AAA Syracuse. (Stephen Strasburg can be placed on the 60-day DL to make room for him.) Ramos, who wa already on the 40-man roster, is being recalled from Syracuse.
General manager Mike Rizzo had said earlier this week he didn't plan to make any September call-ups until the Chiefs' season ends on Monday, but the two players were told last night of their promotions and are en route to Miami today.
Espinosa, a 23-year-old switch-hitter, has been on fire at the plate in Syracuse, posting a .359 average (14-for-39) with four walks, three RBI and five runs scored over his last 10 games. In 123 combined games this season with Syracuse and Class AA Harrisburg, he's hitting .268 with 22 homers, 69 RBI and 25 stolen bases. As of last week, heRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable