Game 134: Nats at Marlins

Sep 1, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos will be uniform for the series finale at Sun Life Stadium.

MIAMI — Nyjer Morgan is leading off for the Nationals tonight, moved back to the top spot after three games in the 8-hole and after last night's controversial collision at the plate with Marlins catcher Brett Hayes. Chris Volstad starts tonight for Florida; I'd tune in before 7:10 p.m. to see where his first pitch goes. (Hayes, by the way, is reportedly going to be out seven to 10 days.)

The bigger surprise, though, is that Ryan Zimmerman is not in the Nationals' lineup. Zim has been given a very rare day off, something Jim Riggleman has talked about doing and did with Adam Dunn not long ago.

No Danny Espinosa or Wilson Ramos in the lineup tonight, either. I would suspect Espinosa will start Friday night in Pittsburgh, and I would suspect Ramos will get a start sometime during that weekend series as well.

Check back for updates throughout the evening…

NATIONALS at MARLINS
Where: Sun Life Stadium
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 17 mph in from RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Ian Desmond
LF Roger Bernadina
1B Adam Dunn

1. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Nyjer bats first. Well, are we going to see the Marlins plunk him and get it over with? It is interesting that Riggleman has suddenly moved him from the 8-spot to leadoff. What will be even more interesting is what the Nats do if and when he gets nailed. MZ said the Nats had Morgan's back after last night's game. Fascinating sidebar to tonight's game.

2. swang - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Is Balester here yet? He can legitimately plunk everyone and blame it on his control issues.

3. P. Cole - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

What if . . .Morgan gets plunked, charges the mound, gets his ass handed to him, goes on the DL, ends his tenure in DC?The way poor Nyjer's season has been going, I wouldn't be surprised.

4. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Here's the question: If he goes up the hill, who follows him? That will tell the tale where his standing in the clubhouse is concerned.

5. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Has anyone see how big Chris Volstad is? He's at least 6'8" and 230lbs.Here's hoping Nyjer charges the mound and adds to his 7 game suspension.

6. Steve M. - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Wow, no Zim, so he gets 2 days rest with the day off tomorrow. I know how much Zim likes hitting IT in Miami!

7. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

An idea: Ballystar hits Nyjer Morgan and saves everybody a lot of trouble and grief

8. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Well, Nieves has to bat eighth given his terrible offense. Riggs sticking it in the eye of Nats fans … no Ramos must respect the game, must respect the veterans, must lose 100 games … no matter what.

9. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I predict the Nats leadoff will reach first base tonight.

10. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 1, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Not a lot of hits in those 6-7-8-9 batting holes.I second the motion that Bally Star pitch a few simulated games against Nyjer Morgan.Then, I would imagine, our center field problem would take care of itself.

11. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I hope it is ball giveaway night in Florida and everyone sits in CF and pelts Phony Flush every inning and that he gets drilled in the head every time up with a fastball!! Then after the game we sell his contract to a Japanese team

12. natscan reduxit - Sep 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM

… I see Nyjer is in the lineup again tonight. I know some of you won't be pleased; for my part, I am happy he's playing. … but let me say this: even though he's a good ole' hockey player, I think the default decision in the matter of heading full speed toward the plate, and the catcher, is always to slide – only choose a collision if a slide can't be tried…. but Mark, let me ask you this: what is the status of his appeal? Any word when it will be heard?Go Nats!

13. dj in Fl. - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM

annon 442Certainly you do not think we Riggs would put in a catcher he does not want on the DL. I think keepeng Ramos on the bench tonight is an excellent call. Flores does not need any company in Viera.

14. Jim Webster - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM

After last night, don't the umps start out with a warning to both benches?

15. Ernie - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I can't tell you how many games I wasted money on watching Olsen get trounced. The only thing about the way this one is starting off is that I'm at home in the air conditioning.

16. Aussie Gus - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Ernie, if you think you are wasting money on watching him, imagine how the Lerners feel.

17. Michael J. Hayde - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Nyjer's hearing is September 7, and his plunking will come. It would have been too obvious to do it right at the start.Wish Dibble were in the booth getting on Olsen's case for leaving his fastball up in the zone. Fortunately, Dave Jaegler's doing it on WFED.

18. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I hope Batista ate his wheaties this morning. He looks to be in for a lot of work tonight…

19. Anonymous - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM

One potential bright side of a blowout: Volstead feels enough breathing room to hit Morgan and not worry about it leading to a run.

20. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me - Sep 1, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Mr. Olsen, pickup the white courtesy phone in baggage claim. Your bus ticket to Pittsburgh is ready to be picked up.

21. hleeo3 - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:02 AM

byebye scott olsen… hello yuniesky maya? they both started tonight, so it makes sense.

22. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Is it too late to revisit the 5 Worst Days in Nats history?

23. Aussie Gus - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:05 AM

I asked this a few days ago, but is there a stats site that shows the hitting stats for the first at bat of each pitcher? I swear our bullpen manages to give up a hit to the first batter every night.

24. natteringnabob - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:13 AM

y. maya looking good for syracuse tonight – 4 shutout innings so far

25. Andrew - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Morgan got a love tap on his butt. Volstad was nice helping his OBP with no bruising!

26. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM

It's Nyjer Morgan 1, Florida Marlins 14.Maybe he can pitch, too.

27. Dryw - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Wow, are there really three Marlins fans in the entire upper deck?

28. HabsProf - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Poor Craig. He's done some good work for us out of the bullpen, but he's been placed in a bad situation, facing a team that is out for blood. The Marlins have decided to get vengeance by kicking the Nats' collective butts.God I hate Loria.

29. NatsJack in Florida - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM

The Marlins announcers are blasting Nyjer worse than anything we've written on this site today. They've called him out for being a "stupid" ball player for the two steals in a blow out and have stated that "if a fight broke out, Nyjer Morgan would find himself alone".

30. swang - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:47 AM

WTF was he thinking? Doesn't he know that those two steals will result in his plunking NEXT time also?

31. Cwj - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Why is it considered dirty to steal bases when you're way BEHIND on the scoreboard???

32. Mark - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM

There we go, Sanchez got a nice shot in on Morgan.

33. We Need a Bat - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Nyjer instigated this whole thing. And that display on the way off the field is totally bush league. He needs to go.

34. natscan reduxit - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:11 AM

"God I hate Loria."… thank you HabsProf. Just knowing I'm not alone in this makes me feel somewhat better.Go Nats! … hey you Nats: I said "Go Nats!"

35. CBinDC - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I am glad Nyjer stood up for himself ….this get hit and then get hit again crap is the bush league stuff.

36. mike - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM

@CBinDC …. I'm actually glad Nyjer got his butt kicked. He brought this all on himself by his antics over the past couple of days. I'm embarrassed by him. If MLB doesn't suspend him for the year, I hope the Nats do (and then non-tender him). This isn't what the Nats should be about.

37. CapPeterson - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:19 AM

CBinDC,Bush league? Bush league is stealing the 2 bases after getting plunked. The plunking evened the score; Nyjer's 2 swipes called for another balacing of the accounts. If you don't be;ieve me, listen to Ray Knight.

38. Brandon - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Stealing 2 bases after getting on base sounds okay to me.On the one hand, charging the mound after a ball goes behind you is not cool because it didn't hit you and maybe the ump will throw out the pitcher.On the other hand, good for him taking care of his business considering the pitcher is like a foot taller than him.I can't wait to read Zuck's take on it. He's made his disdain for Nyjer clear after the first month of the season.

39. natscan reduxit - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM

#1 – do the Morse detractors of a few weeks ago still feel the same way?#2 – has Ray Knight ever had a cogent thought in his life?Way to Go Nats!

40. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I have no problem with what Morgan did. He was totally justified going after Volstad.

41. Doc - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

So the Nats are behind now by a 15-8 score and Riggleman takes Dunn out. Now the Nats are absent the 2 dominent hitters in the line up.Does Riggleman not care about winning the game at this point? For commenters to this great blog who are wiser than me (which is most of you) why does Riggleman do this? I see nothing indicating that Dunn was injured.

42. CBinDC - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:33 AM

43. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM

"9:25 p.m. — Here's one of many questions I have right now: What happens when a player who's already appealing one suspension gets another?"Rob Dibble should be able to tell you. If you can find him.

44. natscan reduxit - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:36 AM

… why did Riggs take out Dunn? I don't presume to have the definitive answer, but I would say it's becaus ehe's really a negative thinking nervous loser at heart. He believed the game was unwinnable so he thought "what would a good manager do?" and decided it was a good time to give Danny Esp. some game time.Ah, G'wan Nats!

45. joNAThan - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Who needs Dunn when you have Wil Nieves….Good Lord he killed that. Maybe the Nats should fight more often

46. Michael J. Hayde - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:46 AM

"Here's another question: Had Rob Dibble been broadcasting this game, would he have jumped out of the booth and joined the brawl?"Ummm, no. But he would've been a lot more entertaining than Knight in "analyzing" it.Since discovering tonight's Yankee game is on ESPN, I've been watching that (while listening to the great John Sterling, another colorful character like Dibble), and following this game right here. Much less frustrating. Every once in awhile, it's good to watch a real MLB team, one that is both played and run by professionals.

47. Michael J. Hayde - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:49 AM

"You think Jim Riggleman might regret pulling Adam Dunn in the fifth when his team was down 10 runs?"Perfect. This entire day has been an embarrassment to the team. One bad decision after another by just about everybody. Call it "Dibble's Curse."

48. Section 222 - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM

I'm just catching up here. I certainly think Nyjer is out of control, but why were Ray and Bob so down on him for stealing two bases when we were down by 9 runs? What are we supposed to do, give up? Or is it just Nyjer who is not allowed to play hard and try to score runs because he screwed up last night? That makes no sense.Nyjer should have let it go — Volstead might have been thrown out of the game for the second attempted beaning. But there is no way that that second attempt was justified just because Volstead couldn't hold him on well enough to prevent two steals and a run. Come on!

49. We Need a Bat - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM

@CBinDC: You're kidding, right? No one in this thread or on this board has said getting rid of Nyjer will solve all the Nats problems. Not one. If you want to defend Nyjer on the merits of his behavior, fine, go ahead. But don't put words in other people's mouths and then criticize your version of what they're saying.

50. A DC Wonk - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Yeah — I kinda have the same question. For one, I had no idea that stealing bases when you are *losing* is considered bush league (can somebody explain why?)And, secondly, I think stealing bases after getting hit is pretty cool. It's like: OK, you hit me, but it'll cost you more than just one base.

51. CBinDC - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:57 AM

It was not words but the nature of those words that I was COMMENTING on …the feel and the effect of the comments

52. Chico Harlan - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:59 AM

"I know the team stinks because of Nyjer …we get rid of him and all will be well and sunny ……PLEASE ….you have all suddenly seen blood in the water and can not help yourselves to a feast ….but you are losing a bit of your soul in the process keep that in mind."Exactly. I lost a lot of respect for Riggleman when he called out Morgan before even talking to him. Even if Nyjer never plays again for the Nats, I will always appreciate the spark that he brought to the lineup last year and the silver Elvis wig. Also, Nyjer is one of the few Nats who will actually acknowledge us fans, both at home and on the road. Would you rather still be watching Lastings Milledge underachieve? They didn't make a bobblehead of him for nothing.

53. HHover - Sep 2, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Where's Colin Balester when you need him?

54. A DC Wonk - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:07 AM

Oh . . . and . . . Welcome to "the show", Danny E.! Nice hustle on your first at bat, turning an groundball at the second baseman into a double!(Hey — I stepped away from the TV for a bit, and looked at the on-line box score, and see that Riggs and another got ejected in the 7th inning. What happened??)

55. Will - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Is it OK to steal bases now?

56. mike - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM

@CBinDC … speaking for myself, the comment was not about his play. To be sure, I will say I do not like him as a player… he bunts too often, he plays shaky defense at best, and makes "dumb" plays. For all of those reasons, I would like him off the team. However, tonight's incident, and his conduct over the past few days, is another matter. It's not "good" baseball, it's not "aggressive" baseball. It's childish. He ran into one catcher for no reason (on purpose). He blasted the manager in the media, when the manager was doing the right thing in trying to defuse the situation. Then he made another dumb play trying to take his aggression out on another catcher, and ended up hurting that player, instead of sliding for the easy score. And now he charges the mound as if his actions don't warrant retaliation. It's childish behavior, and the team shouldn't stand for it.

57. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Slaten hit Gaby Sanchez. Since both benches had been warned, that's an automatic ejection for the pitcher, and I believe for the manager too.

58. Kory Casto - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:19 AM

(Hey — I stepped away from the TV for a bit, and looked at the on-line box score, and see that Riggs and another got ejected in the 7th inning. What happened??) Slaten was tossed for hitting Sanchez and Riggleman came out to discuss, which led to his removal.

59. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM

I've seen better fights at the Dubliner at closing time.

60. A DC Wonk - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Thanks guys. You know, watching the replay of the fight, Gaby Sanchez got in two slammer punches. I was surprised he didn't get tossed (and thought he should have — perhaps the first one was to get Nyjer away from the pitcher, but the second one was a wind-up punch of Nyjer when Nyjer was already on the ground)So, in my book, hitting Gaby makes sense.

61. JayB - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:26 AM

I told you over the past few weeks this was going to end ugly for Morgan……He needs help and has all year…..as I told you all….He will be in rehab soon but if the Nats had acted months ago this embarrassment would have been avoided.

62. Cwj - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM

What a memorable game this has turned out to be! Quite entertaining to say the least :)As for Morgan, he took the first retaliation like he should have. That "evens the score" from the previous night.He then steals 2 bases. With his team down, what the hell is wrong with that?He did not deserve to have another pitch thrown at or behind him.

63. NatsNut - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Okay, now that was funny…"if a fight broke out, Nyjer Morgan would find himself alone."

64. zib23 - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:32 AM

What exactly was objectionable about Nyjer stealing 2nd & 3rd after being hit? The Nats were down 10 runs; it is not as if they were UP 10 runs and he was piling on. Right?

65. JayB - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Cwj…..I take it you have never played the game at a high level……Morgan earned it and much more….if they let his play again…..ever other teams will hit him on principle….he is an out of control embarrassment to baseball.

66. BQ - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM

One of the ugliest scenes on the field I have ever seen! Nyjer should not have done. His reaction coming off the field was unprofessional. This guy should be suspended the rest of the season and Nationals should cut him right away.On a more serious note, Pat Listach is shameless. Why was he making love to Volstad on the mound?

67. BallstonNat - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:37 AM

JayB-What type of Rehab are you talking about. Anger-Management, substance, alcohol? Care to elaborate?

68. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Good for Riggs! He's backing up Nyjer on the MASN post-game show. Sez he "doesn't have a problem" with Nyjer stealing two bases while his team is nine runs down.I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm behind Riggs trying to keep this sinking ship from sinking even further.

69. David - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM

To everyone wondering about the criticism of Nyjer stealing with the team so far behind: the point is not about giving up. The problem is that you don't risk getting thrown out when you have a lot of runs to make up. You need to be on base in order to wait for big hits and be a part of a big inning. Yes, it's more speculative than manufacturing a run, but when you are down big, that's the only way. This is why Zuckerman and the radio guys are criticizing Nyjer for stealing when down 11, not because he should be "giving up." It's a strategy type of thing, dig?

70. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM

Nyjer got what he deserved several times tonight, getting hit, getting thrown behind for stealing two bases when the game was out of hand, charging the mound and getting leveled by Gaby Sanchez (give that man a medal) and getting pelted by the fans because he was proud of fighting. He should be made to pay his way home because if he is with the team after midnight tonight Rizzo and crew and complete hypocrits, Nyjer is a piece of you know what as a human being and possible mentally ill so DFA his AS$!!!!

71. Ernie - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:43 AM

I know that all of the talk will be about Morgan, but can we finally have an honest assessment of Olsen now? For once he can't hide behind the excuse that his fielders let him down. This guy has gotten away with too much because people have consistently claimed he loses because he doesn't get support. In truth, he loses because he sucks. He needs to disappear today. My nightmare is that the story comes out tomorrow that he's been pitching hurt, needs to go on the DL, and shows up at spring training next year. He needs to follow Bruney to the land of irrelevance.

72. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:47 AM

@ManassasMy favorite fight still is when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan, who gave him some good blows to the top of the head at the age of 45.

73. JayB - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Man that MASN Post game show is an embarrassment. Clearly Stan has told them if they critise anything or anyone in Natstown they will lose their job.Riggs knows that what Morgan did was a joke and Ray was shocked to here him lie about it on air but Ray wants that job and Stan has show what happens if you are anything but a homer. I am happy to be rid of Dibbs but I do not want a guy or whole team of TV heads that are afraid to tell the truth.

74. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm behind Riggs trying to keep this sinking ship from sinking even further.Have to wonder what Rizzo thinks about all of this though? In a way, Nyjer has reenergized what has started to become a listless team … his behavior might not be acceptable to the mlb but the results appear to have had an effect on the Nationals.

75. greg - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:54 AM

i'm not as annoyed with morgan charging the mound as i am with his "hands raised in triumph" and screaming "whooo" as he walks off the field. and i suspect that, along with the fact that he's already awaiting his hearing on the first suspension, will be what seals the deal for a lot of time off for him. the attitude portion of it. it's one thing to charge the mound in what you feel is trying to protect yourself (regardless of what you think about whether he deserved it or not). it's another thing to continue to act like a complete, classless ass as you walk off the field. robelo was trying to stop him from being an idiot, but he obviously didn't care.i suspect he'll miss at least a couple of weeks total before all the suspensions are tallied up.

76. lesatcsc - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:54 AM

JayB, I don't know how high a level of baseball you're talking about, but that's simply nonsense. I'm not a Nyger fan, but chill! Just so we're clear, Nyger made a bonehead play against a different team, so when he makes a perfectly acceptable play at home plate against the Marlins, it's their job to settle the score for all of baseball? And not once but twice? And it's all justified because after taking his medicine he the temerity to steal bases? Perhaps if he hit a triple he should stop at first base because to do otherwise would be worth the death penalty? Personally I think the whole thing is an embarassment for all of baseball, the Nats but most particularly the Marlins. What they did tonight was BS. They are like their owner, completely bush league. I think they should suspend the Marlins manager for the balance of the season for permitting it to happen. He's responsible for his team, and clearly he doesn't have control.

77. BQ - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Ernie my friend, you nailed it. Olsen needs to pack his bags along with Morgan. I am just glad no one significant got injured in this whole mess.

78. Section 222 - Sep 2, 2010 at 2:59 AM

@David — I totally understand the criticism of Nyjer for stealing. It was a bad baseball move. When you're down 9 runs, you don't risk making an out. But it wasn't showing up the Marlins or anything that even slightly justified being thrown at again. If anything, the Marlins should have been happy that Nyjer was playing out of control. But they couldn't stop him, and that doesn't mean they have good reason to throw at him.

79. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_for_Me - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM

@Ernie, who wants an "honest assessment" of Olsen:He sucks.

80. rmoore446 - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM

From Michael "Vest" Hyde: "Since discovering tonight's Yankee game is on ESPN, I've been watching that (while listening to the great John Sterling, another colorful character like Dibble), and following this game right here. Much less frustrating. Every once in awhile, it's good to watch a real MLB team, one that is both played and run by professionals."Oh, Michael J. Hyde, I've read your comments with interest if not always agreement. But when you hold up John Sterling as the shining example of good baseball broadcasting, I say "check please!" Sterling is a clown.

81. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM

So many experts. The guy talking about rehab is right on. Sounds like the voice of experience. If you don't like Morgan, change the channel.

82. BallstonNat - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Currently on Washingtonnationals.com the video of the fight is the Marlins' tv feed. Very interesting to get their take as it happened. If you haven't heard, i suggest you go over there and listen.

83. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Biggest surprise of the game? Justin Maxwell got 2 hits to go with ONLY 1 strikeout!

84. Anonymous8 - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Geez, Aaron Boone on Baseball Night is ragging on Nyjer. Why do they have a problem with him stealing bases if they are holding him on 1st?Now if the Marlins with an 11 run lead are stealing, then yah, that is bad.

85. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Did Riggleman say that he called for Morgan to steel after he go hit?

86. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Let me get this straight. Dibble gets fired in essence by the NATS for being outspoken, and Olson who has sucked all year gets to start tonight give up 9 runs and is rewarded with an extra $100,000.00.This is why the Nats have trouble. Their priorities are not in the right place. Kaston will make it worse if he doesn't hire a good non yes man for the booth. Why would you want a yes man for a team that doesn't play well. The fans are not stupid we can see when the game is not played well.

87. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:22 AM

Anon 11:12 Riggleman clearly said he did not have a "hold" on steals so Nyjer was free to steal on his own.

88. HHover - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:31 AM

Anon8 et al -What’s so hard to understand about this? You don’t come back from an 11-run deficit by moving one guy 90 feet. Maybe there’s an argument for stealing 2d to take away the double play (tho it was Desmond, not Pudge, at the plate). Stealing 3d is pointless so far as winning the game–or at least, the likelihood that it would determine the outcome is infinitesimal, and thus not worth the risk of giving up a runner who’s already in scoring position. Either Nyjer doesn’t understand that–in which case he shouldn’t be playing pro ball–or he wasn’t doing it to win the game, but to show the other team up. And guys who act just to show the other team up get what Morgan got, or worse (Volstad, after all, only thew behind him).

89. zib23 - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:33 AM

HHover- If stealing was a bad baseball decision, that is something the Nats should object to. The Marlins should welcome it.Stealing is one of the few facets of his game Nyjer has going at this point. Is he supposed to stop trying?

90. HHover - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:41 AM

@zib23The point is that Morgan's decision to steal wasn't a baseball decision at all–it was a decision to try to show the other team up. As for what Morgan will do moving forward–yes, I think it's safe to say he won't be stealing many bases for a while.

91. Richard - Sep 2, 2010 at 3:56 AM

A sorry chapter for the Nationals. You have to feel for Espinoza and his family, too. This was his major league debut.

92. greg - Sep 2, 2010 at 4:08 AM

zib23, i think you're missing the point. the point is that morgan wasn't stealing 3rd because it was important to help the nats win.it's that he was stealing 3rd to "show up" the other team. it wasn't necessarily that it was a bonehead baseball play (although it was, on some levels).it was that it was a "jerk" play, meant purely to "get back at" the marlins. if it had been a smart baseball play, nobody would have objected. but since it was done to get under their skin, it obviously was effective in doing that. and everything was punctuated by morgan's arrogant fist-pump on the way off the field. he was being a jerk, plain and simple.

93. Anonymous - Sep 2, 2010 at 12:37 PM

All I know is from the point he stole the bases until the end of the game the Nats outscored the Fish 7 to 2, so it did fire up the Nats. I agree stealing third was not a good baseball move. Stealing second was OK, but agree he wasn't doing it for baseball reasons.