Sep 2, 2010, 6:30 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan gestures toward fans after getting ejected.
MIAMI — Perhaps the saddest part of tonight's events at Sun Life Stadium is that everyone could see it coming from miles away.
The moment last week he was suspended seven games by Major League Baseball for throwing a ball into the stands in Philadelphia and striking a fan, Nyjer Morgan's fuse was lit. It slowly burned over the ensuing days, from his getting picked off with his team down four runs Friday to his demotion to the 8-hole and subsequent unnecessary clipping of Cardinals catcher Bryan Anderson Saturday to his benching by Jim Riggleman Sunday to his criticism of the manager for a lack of communication Monday to his controversial collision with Marlins catcher Brett Hayes last night.
By the time Morgan stepped to the plate in the top of the first tonight, you sensed the fuse was about to run out and explode. It didn't happen right then, though. And it didn't happen in the fourth inning, when Chris Volstad plunked Morgan in the side. Nyjer calmly trotted to first base without saying a word, prompting everyone to wonder whether disaster had been averted.
Of course, it hadn't. When Morgan subsequently stole both second and third bases, with his team trailing 14-3 in the fourth, the Marlins decided more action was necessary. So the next time he came to bat,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect