Sep 2, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen is 1-6 with an 8.72 ERA since coming off the DL.
There have been plenty of highlights of last night's game on television today, and not only from the usual suspects. Even The Today Show had a clip of Nyjer Morgan charging Chris Volstad. When's the last time people watching NBC at 7 a.m. were treated to highlights of a Nationals-Marlins game?
All of the focus has been on the bench-clearing brawl, and rightfully so. But let's not forget one major reason things escalated up to that point: Scott Olsen's terrible start.
That's right, Olsen's disaster of an outing (nine runs allowed in 1 2/3 innings) turned this game into a blowout right from the get-go. And remember, the reason the Marlins got so upset and felt the need to throw at Morgan a second time was the fact he stole two bases after getting hit the first time with his team trailing 14-3.
Whether you believe that was a breach of baseball etiquette or not — and the majority of people not employed by the Marlins seem to agree it was not — it would have been a moot point had the Nats only trailedRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig