Sep 2, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Scott Olsen is 1-6 with an 8.72 ERA since coming off the DL.
There have been plenty of highlights of last night's game on television today, and not only from the usual suspects. Even The Today Show had a clip of Nyjer Morgan charging Chris Volstad. When's the last time people watching NBC at 7 a.m. were treated to highlights of a Nationals-Marlins game?
All of the focus has been on the bench-clearing brawl, and rightfully so. But let's not forget one major reason things escalated up to that point: Scott Olsen's terrible start.
That's right, Olsen's disaster of an outing (nine runs allowed in 1 2/3 innings) turned this game into a blowout right from the get-go. And remember, the reason the Marlins got so upset and felt the need to throw at Morgan a second time was the fact he stole two bases after getting hit the first time with his team trailing 14-3.
Whether you believe that was a breach of baseball etiquette or not — and the majority of people not employed by the Marlins seem to agree it was not — it would have been a moot point had the Nats only trailedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5
- Ramos catches Gonzalez for 1st time in months
- Nats seek first 4-game win streak in 2 months