Sep 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa went 1-for-2 in his big-league debut Wednesday night.
Yet another aspect of Wednesday night's game in Miami that got lost amid the flying bodies was Danny Espinosa's successful major-league debut.
The 23-year-old infielder entered in the fifth inning, with the Nationals already trailing by double digits, but impressed in the limited time he appeared. He recorded a hit in his first career at-bat, stretching a hard hopper over the second baseman's head into a double and driving in his first run. He also flashed his well-known rocket of an arm in turning a double play and emerged all smiles.
"It was great. I had such a fun time," he said. "It was a little fast for me, and I was nervous. I just had to slow myself down a little bit. But I had a great time. It was just a great experience to be here."
Espinosa will get "significant" playing time over the season's final month, according to Jim Riggleman. Most of it will come at second base, a position he hadn't played in the minors until last month at Class AAA Syracuse but one he said he's comfortable with after playing it extensively in high school.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship