Sep 3, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Danny Espinosa went 1-for-2 in his big-league debut Wednesday night.
Yet another aspect of Wednesday night's game in Miami that got lost amid the flying bodies was Danny Espinosa's successful major-league debut.
The 23-year-old infielder entered in the fifth inning, with the Nationals already trailing by double digits, but impressed in the limited time he appeared. He recorded a hit in his first career at-bat, stretching a hard hopper over the second baseman's head into a double and driving in his first run. He also flashed his well-known rocket of an arm in turning a double play and emerged all smiles.
"It was great. I had such a fun time," he said. "It was a little fast for me, and I was nervous. I just had to slow myself down a little bit. But I had a great time. It was just a great experience to be here."
Espinosa will get "significant" playing time over the season's final month, according to Jim Riggleman. Most of it will come at second base, a position he hadn't played in the minors until last month at Class AAA Syracuse but one he said he's comfortable with after playing it extensively in high school.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade