Sep 3, 2010, 5:09 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Nyjer Morgan has been suspended eight games by Major League Baseball for a series of actions over the last week. Additionally, manager Jim Riggleman has been suspended two games, third base coach Pat Listach has been suspended two games and left-hander Doug Slaten has been suspended three games for their actions during Wednesday night's brawl in Florida.
Morgan has appealed his suspension and is in the Nationals' lineup tonight against the Pirates, leading off and playing center field. Slaten also appealed and is available out of the bullpen. Riggleman will begin serving his suspension tonight. Listach, whose initial three-game suspension was reduced to two, will begin serving on Sunday after Riggleman's is complete.
Several Marlins also have been suspended: Chris Volstad (six games), Alex Sanabia (five games), Gaby Sanchez (three games) and manager Edwin Rodriguez (one game). Reliever Jose Veras has been fined but not suspended.
MLB said Morgan's suspensions were for three violations: Running into Cardinals catcher Bryan Anderson on Saturday, inappropriate comments made to Marlins fans on Tuesday and then charging theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million
- The good, the bad and the ugly of Nats camp
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees