Sep 3, 2010, 5:09 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — Nyjer Morgan has been suspended eight games by Major League Baseball for a series of actions over the last week. Additionally, manager Jim Riggleman has been suspended two games, third base coach Pat Listach has been suspended two games and left-hander Doug Slaten has been suspended three games for their actions during Wednesday night's brawl in Florida.
Morgan has appealed his suspension and is in the Nationals' lineup tonight against the Pirates, leading off and playing center field. Slaten also appealed and is available out of the bullpen. Riggleman will begin serving his suspension tonight. Listach, whose initial three-game suspension was reduced to two, will begin serving on Sunday after Riggleman's is complete.
Several Marlins also have been suspended: Chris Volstad (six games), Alex Sanabia (five games), Gaby Sanchez (three games) and manager Edwin Rodriguez (one game). Reliever Jose Veras has been fined but not suspended.
MLB said Morgan's suspensions were for three violations: Running into Cardinals catcher Bryan Anderson on Saturday, inappropriate comments made to Marlins fans on Tuesday and then charging theRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect