Sep 3, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow today in Los Angeles, and according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo the rookie pitcher came out of the procedure “with flying colors.”
“It went smooth and uneventful,” Rizzo said before the Nats’ game against the Pirates.
Orthopedist Lewis Yocum performed the ligament replacement surgery, with assistance from Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih. The procedure, in which the torn ulnar collateral ligament in Strasburg’s right elbow was replaced by a tendon from his leg, took approximately three hours to complete.
Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic.
Strasburg won’t be allowed to resume throwing a ball for about four months, at which point he’ll report to the Nats’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Full recovery from the surgery is expected to take between 12 and 18 months.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic
- Nats' Ramos shares moment in Zimmermann's no-hitter