Sep 3, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow today in Los Angeles, and according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo the rookie pitcher came out of the procedure “with flying colors.”
“It went smooth and uneventful,” Rizzo said before the Nats’ game against the Pirates.
Orthopedist Lewis Yocum performed the ligament replacement surgery, with assistance from Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih. The procedure, in which the torn ulnar collateral ligament in Strasburg’s right elbow was replaced by a tendon from his leg, took approximately three hours to complete.
Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic.
Strasburg won’t be allowed to resume throwing a ball for about four months, at which point he’ll report to the Nats’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Full recovery from the surgery is expected to take between 12 and 18 months.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview