Sep 3, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow today in Los Angeles, and according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo the rookie pitcher came out of the procedure “with flying colors.”
“It went smooth and uneventful,” Rizzo said before the Nats’ game against the Pirates.
Orthopedist Lewis Yocum performed the ligament replacement surgery, with assistance from Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih. The procedure, in which the torn ulnar collateral ligament in Strasburg’s right elbow was replaced by a tendon from his leg, took approximately three hours to complete.
Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic.
Strasburg won’t be allowed to resume throwing a ball for about four months, at which point he’ll report to the Nats’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Full recovery from the surgery is expected to take between 12 and 18 months.
NL EAST STANDINGS
*Through Saturday's early games
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
*Through Friday's games
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer throws 2nd no-hitter of season, shuts out Mets
- Scherzer tries to finish season on high note
- Harper out of nightcap after taking pitch off leg
- Harper homers, as Nats take 1st of doubleheader at Mets
- MLB Power Rankings: Cubs, Pirates set for wild card game
- Williams: "Nobody's spoken to me ... at this point"
- Nats, Mets begin doubleheader in final series
- Matt Williams may be fired, but how much blame for Rizzo?
- Harper, young Nats take subway in New York
- Opener of final series postponed, doubleheader Saturday