Sep 3, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow today in Los Angeles, and according to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo the rookie pitcher came out of the procedure “with flying colors.”
“It went smooth and uneventful,” Rizzo said before the Nats’ game against the Pirates.
Orthopedist Lewis Yocum performed the ligament replacement surgery, with assistance from Nationals team doctor Wiemi Douoguih. The procedure, in which the torn ulnar collateral ligament in Strasburg’s right elbow was replaced by a tendon from his leg, took approximately three hours to complete.
Strasburg will remain in the Los Angeles hospital overnight, then will return to his home in San Diego, where he will immediately begin physical therapy at the nearby Scripps Clinic.
Strasburg won’t be allowed to resume throwing a ball for about four months, at which point he’ll report to the Nats’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Full recovery from the surgery is expected to take between 12 and 18 months.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies