Sep 4, 2010, 10:07 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya, who signed with the Nats in July, will debut Tuesday night.
PITTSBURGH — Recently signed Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya will make his major-league debut for the Nationals Tuesday night against the Mets, according to a club source, relegating struggling left-hander Scott Olsen to the bullpen for now.
Maya, who signed a four-year contract with the Nats in July, made five starts at three different levels of their farm system, going 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA and holding opponents to a .225 batting average. The 29-year-old last pitched Wednesday for Class AAA Syracuse, allowing one run over 5 2/3 innings and putting himself on schedule to join the big-league staff after the club returns from this weekend’s series against the Pirates.
The addition of Maya (who will be recalled from Syracuse along with several other players after the Chiefs’ season ends Monday) relegates Olsen to the Nationals’ bullpen for now, though manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll likely get another chance to start before season’s end.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who's better right now?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo