Sep 4, 2010, 10:07 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya, who signed with the Nats in July, will debut Tuesday night.
PITTSBURGH — Recently signed Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya will make his major-league debut for the Nationals Tuesday night against the Mets, according to a club source, relegating struggling left-hander Scott Olsen to the bullpen for now.
Maya, who signed a four-year contract with the Nats in July, made five starts at three different levels of their farm system, going 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA and holding opponents to a .225 batting average. The 29-year-old last pitched Wednesday for Class AAA Syracuse, allowing one run over 5 2/3 innings and putting himself on schedule to join the big-league staff after the club returns from this weekend’s series against the Pirates.
The addition of Maya (who will be recalled from Syracuse along with several other players after the Chiefs’ season ends Monday) relegates Olsen to the Nationals’ bullpen for now, though manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll likely get another chance to start before season’s end.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera