Sep 4, 2010, 10:07 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya, who signed with the Nats in July, will debut Tuesday night.
PITTSBURGH — Recently signed Cuban right-hander Yunesky Maya will make his major-league debut for the Nationals Tuesday night against the Mets, according to a club source, relegating struggling left-hander Scott Olsen to the bullpen for now.
Maya, who signed a four-year contract with the Nats in July, made five starts at three different levels of their farm system, going 1-2 with a 3.38 ERA and holding opponents to a .225 batting average. The 29-year-old last pitched Wednesday for Class AAA Syracuse, allowing one run over 5 2/3 innings and putting himself on schedule to join the big-league staff after the club returns from this weekend’s series against the Pirates.
The addition of Maya (who will be recalled from Syracuse along with several other players after the Chiefs’ season ends Monday) relegates Olsen to the Nationals’ bullpen for now, though manager Jim Riggleman said he’ll likely get another chance to start before season’s end.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy