Sep 4, 2010, 3:30 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH — It's one thing to hit your first career home run in your first career start. It's quite another to hit that home run to the opposite field, then follow it up with an opposite-field, RBI double from the other side of the plate three innings later.
"It was a great feeling," he said of his third-inning homer to right. "Just one of those sweet feelings when the ball comes off the bat."
Espinosa's solo blast came off a 1-1 changeup from left-hander Zach Duke, a pitch that sat on the outside corner of the strike zone. Plenty of 23-year-olds with three days of big-league experience would try to pull that pitch and wind up grounding out weakly to short. Espinosa, though, showed a knack for going the other way all season at Class AA and AAA and he's carried that trait with him to the major-league level.
The ball sailed on a line to right field and landed in the bleachers above the 21-foot-high wall.
"That ball was a missile," said bench coach John McLaren, who is filling in as manager while Jim Riggleman serves a two-gameRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss