Sep 5, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Yunesky Maya, Ross Detwiler and Collin Balester all joined the Nationals this morning at PNC Park, though only Balester has officially been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and is eligible to pitch out of the bullpen today.
Maya and Detwiler will travel with the club back home to Washington and then be recalled. Maya is scheduled to start Tuesday night against the Mets; Detwiler will be used both as a starter and a reliever over the remainder of the season, according to manager Jim Riggleman.
"Right now, we've got about seven starters, so we're going to work [Detwiler] in there wherever we can," Riggleman said. "And hopefully by the end of the year, we'll have a good idea as to what his role will be in the future with this ballclub. But right now, we'd like to have him help us win some ballgames, whether it's as a starter or a reliever."
Riggleman said he may have to tinker around with his rotation over the season's final month to make sure each of the current seven starters (Maya, Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Livan Hernandez, John Lannan, Jason Marquis, Scott Olsen) gets a chance to pitch. HisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5
- Ramos catches Gonzalez for 1st time in months
- Nats seek first 4-game win streak in 2 months
- Strasburg keeps leading the charge for Nats rotation
- Nats Stock Watch: Rendon rediscovering his power stroke
- Quality at-bats propel Nationals to big win