Sep 5, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Yunesky Maya, Ross Detwiler and Collin Balester all joined the Nationals this morning at PNC Park, though only Balester has officially been recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and is eligible to pitch out of the bullpen today.
Maya and Detwiler will travel with the club back home to Washington and then be recalled. Maya is scheduled to start Tuesday night against the Mets; Detwiler will be used both as a starter and a reliever over the remainder of the season, according to manager Jim Riggleman.
"Right now, we've got about seven starters, so we're going to work [Detwiler] in there wherever we can," Riggleman said. "And hopefully by the end of the year, we'll have a good idea as to what his role will be in the future with this ballclub. But right now, we'd like to have him help us win some ballgames, whether it's as a starter or a reliever."
Riggleman said he may have to tinker around with his rotation over the season's final month to make sure each of the current seven starters (Maya, Detwiler, Jordan Zimmermann, Livan Hernandez, John Lannan, Jason Marquis, Scott Olsen) gets a chance to pitch. HisRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent