Sep 6, 2010, 2:14 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats host the Mets in a Labor Day matinee at Nationals Park.
With Stephen Strasburg back in San Diego recovering from his Tommy John surgery, the most interesting pitcher for Nationals fans to watch the rest of this season is Jordan Zimmermann, who five nights ago in Florida tossed an absolute gem of a game: one hit allowed in six innings, the minimum number of batters faced.
Zimmermann is back on the mound today facing the Mets, looking to continue his strong return from his own Tommy John surgery. Chances are, he's going to hit a couple of rough patches along the way. Not every start will be like his last one. But every one of his outings is worth watching closely, because he's going to be the Nats' best pitcher in 2011 … at least until a possible Strasburg return in September.
Danny Espinosa returns to the Nationals lineup today, though this time at shortstop, giving Ian Desmond a day off. The transition shouldn't be a problem at all for Espinosa, who played almost exclusively shortstop in the minors before making the switch over to second base a couple weeks ago. Here's hoping he gets a chance to go deep in the hole to snag a grounder and then gets to really flash that cannon of his.
I'm not going to be covering today's game; about to head home from Pittsburgh, actually. But I'll be back at the park tomorrow for Yunesky Maya's debut. Enjoy the game, and enjoy your Labor Day!…
METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Sunny, 83 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB