Sep 7, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond is hitting .346 since the All-Star break.
Catching up on yesterday's events at Nationals Park, where the home team thumped the Mets by a 13-3 count, I'm struck by one overriding thought: The kids have arrived, and they're giving this franchise legitimate reason for hope.
Danny Espinosa, of course, was fantastic. Beyond fantastic. He clubbed two homers, one of them a grand slam. He wound up with four hits. He's batting .563 with 10 RBI in five games and an 1.875 OPS. He received a curtain call, a pie in the face and the silver Elvis Wig.
But this goes beyond Espinosa. Look up and down the Nationals' roster. It's loaded with young talent that was either homegrown or recently acquired from other organizations.
Ian Desmond, 24, is hitting .346 since the All-Star break and making significant strides in the field. He was drafted by the Expos in 2004.
Roger Bernadina, 26, looks more and more like a legitimate big leaguer with each passing day. He was signed by the Expos out ofRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats