Sep 8, 2010, 9:12 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez pitched well for 6 1/3 innings but was charged with the loss.
Over the course of six months, there are going to be a handful of games that come down to one at-bat, one moment between pitcher and batter that determines the outcome of that individual contest.
One of those moments came today, with one out in the top of the seventh inning at Nationals Park. Pinch-hitter Nick Evans' double just inside the first-base line off Sean Burnett scored Josh Thole from second and gave the Mets a 3-2 lead that held up the rest of the afternoon.
"It's a game of inches," Jim Riggleman said afterward. "When you're winning games, those things go your way. And when you're not winning games, they don't seem to go your way. A right-handed hitter hitting a ball against a left-handed pitcher down the first-base line? You might see that two or three times a year. That's about it."
Yes, that's about it. The moment itself was pretty simple. But a lot more went into making that moment possible, from tough decisions by both managers to pitch selection by Burnett to Adam Dunn's attempt to corral the ball.
Here's what led up to the moment that decided today's game…
Livan Hernandez had been pitching another solid, if unspectacular ballgame. He allowed two runs in the third, but settled in after thatRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon