Sep 8, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez pitched well for 6 1/3 innings but was charged with the loss.
Over the course of six months, there are going to be a handful of games that come down to one at-bat, one moment between pitcher and batter that determines the outcome of that individual contest.
One of those moments came today, with one out in the top of the seventh inning at Nationals Park. Pinch-hitter Nick Evans' double just inside the first-base line off Sean Burnett scored Josh Thole from second and gave the Mets a 3-2 lead that held up the rest of the afternoon.
"It's a game of inches," Jim Riggleman said afterward. "When you're winning games, those things go your way. And when you're not winning games, they don't seem to go your way. A right-handed hitter hitting a ball against a left-handed pitcher down the first-base line? You might see that two or three times a year. That's about it."
Yes, that's about it. The moment itself was pretty simple. But a lot more went into making that moment possible, from tough decisions by both managers to pitch selection by Burnett to Adam Dunn's attempt to corral the ball.
Here's what led up to the moment that decided today's game…
Livan Hernandez had been pitching another solid, if unspectacular ballgame. He allowed two runs in the third, but settled in after thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals