Sep 8, 2010, 3:22 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After a rough first inning, Yunesky Maya settled in and pitched well.
Yunesky Maya had been dreaming of this moment for years. All the time he spent pitching in the Cuban National Series, hoping to one day flee his native country and throw in a major-league ballpark in the United States, had been worth it. Here he was, on the mound at Nationals Park, the New York Mets in the opposing dugout.
And then, four batters into his big-league career, Ike Davis was circling the bases following a towering home run, and Maya and the Nationals were trailing 3-0.
Not the way Maya had envisioned this all playing out while lying in bed in Cuba, dreaming of a life he hoped he’d experience.
By the end of the night, though, Maya had righted his ship. Yes, he still was charged with the loss in the Mets’ 4-1 victory. But over his final four innings of work, he established his ability to get big-league hitters out with a vast assortment of pitches and impressed his new employers in the process.
“He kind of pitched as advertised,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “He got better as he went along, though. I think if he had been that sharp … out of the get-go, maybe he [only] gives up a run or two.”
Read the <a href="http://www.csnwashington.com/09/07/10/Zuckerman-Maya-Struggles-Early-Improves-/landing_v3.html?blockID=306148&feedID=5685" target="
_blank”>full account of Maya’s debut on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East