Sep 8, 2010, 3:22 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After a rough first inning, Yunesky Maya settled in and pitched well.
Yunesky Maya had been dreaming of this moment for years. All the time he spent pitching in the Cuban National Series, hoping to one day flee his native country and throw in a major-league ballpark in the United States, had been worth it. Here he was, on the mound at Nationals Park, the New York Mets in the opposing dugout.
And then, four batters into his big-league career, Ike Davis was circling the bases following a towering home run, and Maya and the Nationals were trailing 3-0.
Not the way Maya had envisioned this all playing out while lying in bed in Cuba, dreaming of a life he hoped he’d experience.
By the end of the night, though, Maya had righted his ship. Yes, he still was charged with the loss in the Mets’ 4-1 victory. But over his final four innings of work, he established his ability to get big-league hitters out with a vast assortment of pitches and impressed his new employers in the process.
“He kind of pitched as advertised,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “He got better as he went along, though. I think if he had been that sharp … out of the get-go, maybe he [only] gives up a run or two.”
Read the <a href="http://www.csnwashington.com/09/07/10/Zuckerman-Maya-Struggles-Early-Improves-/landing_v3.html?blockID=306148&feedID=5685" target="
_blank”>full account of Maya’s debut on CSNwashington.com.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen