Sep 8, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Still, the Nats fully expect Morgan to have to sit out some amount of games, leaving manager Jim Riggleman searching for replacements both in center field and atop his lineup.
Roger Bernadina figures to take over in center field, as he did when Morgan was on the disabled list with a minor hip injury last month. That would open up left field for some combination of Willie Harris, Justin Maxwell and Kevin Mench.
The leadoff spot, however, is more up in the air. Riggleman has tried both Bernadina and Adam Kennedy there at times when Morgan was injured or benched, though neither has been wildly successful in that role.
So the Nationals may give rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa a shot, hoping to take advantage of his impressive speed/power combination.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig