Sep 8, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
Still, the Nats fully expect Morgan to have to sit out some amount of games, leaving manager Jim Riggleman searching for replacements both in center field and atop his lineup.
Roger Bernadina figures to take over in center field, as he did when Morgan was on the disabled list with a minor hip injury last month. That would open up left field for some combination of Willie Harris, Justin Maxwell and Kevin Mench.
The leadoff spot, however, is more up in the air. Riggleman has tried both Bernadina and Adam Kennedy there at times when Morgan was injured or benched, though neither has been wildly successful in that role.
So the Nationals may give rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa a shot, hoping to take advantage of his impressive speed/power combination.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020