Sep 9, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez will be back in 2011. Will Adam Dunn?
A scout from an American League team was quizzing me about the state of the Nationals the other night and asked me what I thought the club's biggest area of need would be this winter.
I paused to consider the question before responding with a simple answer: "Depends on what they do with Adam Dunn."
The Dunn decision, of course, will shape the Nationals' entire offseason plan. If they don't re-sign him, their No. 1 priority has to be finding a halfway suitable replacement, both at first base and in the fourth spot in their lineup. But if they do bring Dunn back, the answer is less certain.
What would the Nats' top offseason priority be at that point? Adding another big bat to the mix? Finding a new leadoff hitter? Signing a proven starting pitcher? Bolstering the bullpen with a reliable arm?
I'm not sure there's a clear answer in there. Another legitimate bat for the heart of the order — someone who could bat fifth or sixth and perhaps play right field — would be a welcome addition, but there are only so many of those types out there.Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal