Sep 10, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
Nyjer Morgan’s appeal hearing with MLB vice president of on-field operations Bob Watson took place this morning, but Watson has not issued a ruling on either of Morgan’s two suspensions, so the center fielder is free to continuing playing until that comes down.
Which means Morgan will be in the Nationals’ lineup tonight against the Marlins after all. He’ll bat eighth, with Danny Espinosa leading off.
Morgan appealed a pair of suspensions — seven games for an alleged incident with fans in Philadelphia on August 21, eight games for a series of actions that culminated in last week’s brawl at Florida — and is hoping for a significant reduction of the total of 15 games suspended. He’s been in the Nats’ lineup each of the last seven games since the fight.
Meanwhile, reliever Doug Slaten has dropped the appeal of his three-game suspension for intentionally hitting Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez after the brawl. Thus, Slaten will miss this weekend’s entire series and will be eligible to return Monday in Atlanta.
UPDATE AT 5:11 P.M. — Gaby Sanchez has dropped his appeal, so he’s beginning to serve his three-game suspension tonight.
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Read an updated story with quotes on CSNwashington.com.
UPDATE AT 6:54 P.M. — Bob Watson is still hear at the park and said he doesn’t expect to make a final decision this weekend, so Morgan will most likely play this entire series.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?
- Troy Tulowitzki traded to AL East team in blockbuster deal
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?