Sep 10, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
Nyjer Morgan’s appeal hearing with MLB vice president of on-field operations Bob Watson took place this morning, but Watson has not issued a ruling on either of Morgan’s two suspensions, so the center fielder is free to continuing playing until that comes down.
Which means Morgan will be in the Nationals’ lineup tonight against the Marlins after all. He’ll bat eighth, with Danny Espinosa leading off.
Morgan appealed a pair of suspensions — seven games for an alleged incident with fans in Philadelphia on August 21, eight games for a series of actions that culminated in last week’s brawl at Florida — and is hoping for a significant reduction of the total of 15 games suspended. He’s been in the Nats’ lineup each of the last seven games since the fight.
Meanwhile, reliever Doug Slaten has dropped the appeal of his three-game suspension for intentionally hitting Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez after the brawl. Thus, Slaten will miss this weekend’s entire series and will be eligible to return Monday in Atlanta.
UPDATE AT 5:11 P.M. — Gaby Sanchez has dropped his appeal, so he’s beginning to serve his three-game suspension tonight.
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Read an updated story with quotes on CSNwashington.com.
UPDATE AT 6:54 P.M. — Bob Watson is still hear at the park and said he doesn’t expect to make a final decision this weekend, so Morgan will most likely play this entire series.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game