Sep 10, 2010, 7:25 PM EST
Nyjer Morgan’s appeal hearing with MLB vice president of on-field operations Bob Watson took place this morning, but Watson has not issued a ruling on either of Morgan’s two suspensions, so the center fielder is free to continuing playing until that comes down.
Which means Morgan will be in the Nationals’ lineup tonight against the Marlins after all. He’ll bat eighth, with Danny Espinosa leading off.
Morgan appealed a pair of suspensions — seven games for an alleged incident with fans in Philadelphia on August 21, eight games for a series of actions that culminated in last week’s brawl at Florida — and is hoping for a significant reduction of the total of 15 games suspended. He’s been in the Nats’ lineup each of the last seven games since the fight.
Meanwhile, reliever Doug Slaten has dropped the appeal of his three-game suspension for intentionally hitting Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez after the brawl. Thus, Slaten will miss this weekend’s entire series and will be eligible to return Monday in Atlanta.
UPDATE AT 5:11 P.M. — Gaby Sanchez has dropped his appeal, so he’s beginning to serve his three-game suspension tonight.
UPDATE AT 5:55 P.M. — Read an updated story with quotes on CSNwashington.com.
UPDATE AT 6:54 P.M. — Bob Watson is still hear at the park and said he doesn’t expect to make a final decision this weekend, so Morgan will most likely play this entire series.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day