Sep 12, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound today at Nationals Park to face the Marlins.
The last time he faced the Marlins, Jordan Zimmermann authored up what was probably the second-best start by a Nationals pitcher this season. Stephen Strasburg struck out 14 Pirates in his spectacular debut. Zimmermann's six innings of one-hit, nine-strikeout ball August 31 at Sun Life Stadium were equally as impressive.
Today, the 24-year-old right-hander gets another crack at a Marlins team that has made mincemeat of the Nats for three years (Florida is 38-14 against them since 2008). Chris Volstad, the man who threw at — and then behind — Nyjer Morgan on September 1, starts for the Marlins.
Two interesting lineup twists for the Nationals: Struggling Ivan Rodriguez bats eighth for the first time all season, while Ian Desmond bats leadoff for the first time.
I'm not at today's game, but I'll be in Atlanta tomorrow for the start of the Nats series against the Braves. Please continue the conversation with each other…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: Ch. 50, MASN2
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Cloudy, 70 degrees, Wind 7 mph in from RF
SS Ian Desmond
2B Adam Kennedy
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?