Sep 13, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
ATLANTA — The numbers say Drew Storen is pitching extremely well, certainly for a 23-year-old rookie only 15 months removed from college. His ERA is 3.17. He’s notched three saves in four opportunities. He’s allowed only four of 27 inherited runners to score. And he hasn’t been scored upon in any of his last five appearances, despite putting nine men on base in five innings.
So why does the Nationals’ young closer insist he’s not satisfied with the way he’s been throwing?
“Because that’s not me,” he said. “It’s not me to have those cardiac innings where you’re just on the edge. That’s just not how I do things. I shouldn’t be doing that.”
It’s all part of the mental aspect of pitching in the big leagues that Storen is still learning, as you’ll read about in more detail on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury