Sep 13, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
ATLANTA — The numbers say Drew Storen is pitching extremely well, certainly for a 23-year-old rookie only 15 months removed from college. His ERA is 3.17. He’s notched three saves in four opportunities. He’s allowed only four of 27 inherited runners to score. And he hasn’t been scored upon in any of his last five appearances, despite putting nine men on base in five innings.
So why does the Nationals’ young closer insist he’s not satisfied with the way he’s been throwing?
“Because that’s not me,” he said. “It’s not me to have those cardiac innings where you’re just on the edge. That’s just not how I do things. I shouldn’t be doing that.”
It’s all part of the mental aspect of pitching in the big leagues that Storen is still learning, as you’ll read about in more detail on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win