Sep 14, 2010, 10:26 PM EDT
Jim Riggleman said the Nats hope to give Detwiler at least one more start before season's end, most likely sometime during a stretch of 13 games in 13 days that begins Friday in Philadelphia.
The Nationals could decide to have veteran Livan Hernandez skip a turn in the rotation, or they could insert Detwiler as a sixth starter and give everyone else an extra day off.
The sixth-overall pick in the country in 2007 out of Missouri State, Detwiler has long been touted as a potential long-term member of the Nationals' rotation. But he was inconsistent over 14 starts last season and has missed most of this season with a hip injury that required surgery in February.
Detwiler did make three starts in late-July and early-August before heading back to the disabled list with a recurrence of hip pain. He rejoined the club last week as a September call-up and has pitchedRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order