Sep 14, 2010, 3:26 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Yunesky Maya battled back from a rough second inning but still took the loss.
ATLANTA — After two big-league starts — each of them resulting in losses, each of them featuring one bad inning early — Yunesky Maya was asked if he's encouraged or discouraged by the way he's pitched so far for the Nationals.
Maya's answer: He's not necessarily encouraged or discouraged. More disappointed than anything else.
"Disappointed because of the stuff that's been happening," the Cuban right-hander said through teammate Joel Peralta, who translated tonight.
Maya said he would much rather give up 10 runs, all on base hits, than give up four runs via three hits, two walks, a hit batter and two balks. He called the consecutive balks in the second inning tonight "minor-league stuff" that he shouldn't be doing at this level.
Clearly, the 29-year-old hurler has high standards for himself. He could be content to have battled back from those ragged early innings and pitched well enough to keep the Nationals in the game. But he seems to care more about being the guy who wins the game for hisRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase