Sep 15, 2010, 9:08 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen is congratulated by Wilson Ramos after earning the save.
ATLANTA — They’ve been the one constant in an otherwise tumultuous year for the Nationals. Their starting rotation has been great at times, disastrous at others. Their lineup has produced in bunches for a week, then gone ice cold for two weeks. Their defense has been mostly atrocious, though it’s gotten better over the course of six months.
But all along, the Nats have boasted a deep and reliable bullpen, a unit that has earned the trust and confidence of everyone else in uniform.
“It’s awesome,” John Lannan said. “If you go six or seven [innings], if you have the lead, you’ve got a good shot of winning the ballgame. These guys have been outstanding all year. I’m just really impressed with the way they’ve done such a great job.”
The bullpen was back in top form again this afternoon at Turner Field. Justin Maxwell’s early grand slam and Lannan’s six solid innings may have set the tone, but three scoreless innings of relief from Joel Peralta, Sean Burnett and Drew Storen sealed the deal and gave the Nats a 4-2 victory over the Braves.
Just like that, a Nationals club that was chewed out by its manager Sunday for lack of effort and then the following night struck out 15 times in losing its sixth straight game bounced back to beat the Braves twice and deal the NL East contenders a serious blow to their title hopes.
“That’s all we’ve got right now over the last month,” Burnett said, “trying to spoil other people’s seasons.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest