Sep 15, 2010, 3:50 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez earned his 10th win and clubbed his first homer in beating the Braves.
ATLANTA — Pride comes in different forms for different players. For Ian Desmond, it's the desire to put a bad game behind you and come right back the next night and do something special. For Adam Dunn, it's the rush of beating a team in the thick of a pennant race and playing spoiler for at least one night. And for Livan Hernandez, it's the simple act of taking a baseball every fifth day and doing everything in his power to help his team win.
The Nationals have had their effort questioned a few times this season, including as recently as Sunday when Jim Riggleman and his coaches gave them a tongue-lashing after an uninspiring performance against the Marlins.
There was no questioning it tonight during a 6-0 victory over the Braves. It was all there on display, from Dunn's tape-measure home run to Desmond's exclamation point blast in the ninth to Danny Espinosa's hustle to Livo's pitching (and hitting) brilliance.
Put it all together, and you've got the end of a six-game losing streak that clearly had been weighing on everyone's minds. How much did the Nats need a win?
"I would say pretty bad," Dunn said. "We're just a weird team. We just can't seem to put everything together on a consistent basis. Everything's here. But we get good pitching for two weeks andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology